Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Foodies Snack's Famous Home Made Biscuits: Inspired By "Crazy Heart"

Pin It


I was watching a movie very deserving of the Oscar it got, some of you might know it, it's called Crazy Heart. In the movie Jeff Bridges character "Bad Blake" bakes some of his famous biscuits for somebody (to be vague since I'm not one to spoil movies). It so inspired me, that I have now thrown out my Bisquick habit in favor of making biscuits from scratch like Bad Blake. After several attempts because it's not as easy as you would think, I'm pretty sure I've finally succeeded with this recipe and I want to share it with you... in case your a struggling biscuit baker.

Ingredients: 


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour


3/4 tablespoons baking powder


1/2 teaspoon baking soda


1/4 teaspoon salt


4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter


1/2 cup plus 1/8 cup cold milk


2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter


Dash (or two) of salt




Steps:


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.


In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.


Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the flour.


Using your clean fingers, gently mix in the butter.  This can also be done using a food processor.


Add the cold milk, and gently mix just enough so that everything is combined.


Fold the dough over itself a couple of times, then form the dough into a ball.


On a floured surface, roll out the dough so that it is one inch thick.


Using a pizza cutter (or a sharp knife) cut the dough into 1 1/2" squares.


Melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in the microwave.


Add a couple of dashes of salt, and mix throughly.


Generously brush the tops of the unbaked biscuits with butter.


Place the biscuits in the  preheated oven, and bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.


Try these for yourself and get back to me and tell me if they are Oscar worthy.

By the way, I can't let you go without showing off my down home biscuit shaping skills. Yes, in honor of my home state....



No comments:

Post a Comment